Saturday, January 10, 2009

An epic journey ahead

2009 has begun just as I would like it to - flights, buses, rickshaws, cars and motorbikes! Tonight, I can add trains to that list since I will be on the looongest ride of my life - 40+ hours!! I have been convinced by a new friend of mine, Ravi, to attend a huge Kite Festival in Ahmedabad which is on the opposite side of the country. He has promised crowded skies of swooping and slicing kites with glass lines, kids chasing in the streets and every rooftop full of celebrants, good food and music... how could I resist?? Plus a big group is going camping afterwards near some old Mughal ruins - bonus! :)

My layover in Dhaka was once again eventful,
but this time, instead of chatting with two strangers, I got to see one of my favorite people in the whole world - Alisa! We spent a ridiculously short 24hours catching up, musing, analyzing, laughing, exploring, shopping and thankful for this incredible opportunity to see eachother in Bangladesh of all places! Alisa even got so excited, she decided to play an impromptu game of hide-n-seek :) Ahh, that's my Lis! I hope for many many more random meet-ups like this!

Wish me luck with this grand journey (on the rails/in life :) and I will try to update you all after the festival!
**As per Ravi's comment, Yes, once I arrived, I realized the ruins were actually beautiful temples and cenotaphs ruined not built by the Mughals!

3 comments:

Paul*Cat*Hallie*Ty said...

Oh Jessie, what a wonderous life you live!!! I just love reading your blog and pretending that I am off in some far away land. A new adventure everyday! How fun for you to be able to see Lis, she is amazing! I have grown to adore her since the birth our or babies. Much love, be safe and keep on trekkin'

Kim said...

Jessie,
I am so glad you and Lis actually found each other in this part of the world, amazing! You two pulled it off once again. I am anxious to talk to Lis when she gets home so I can catch up on your latest adventure. Love reading your blog so I can keep up with your latest travels. Stay safe! Love, Kim

Ravi said...

off course now you know that the ruins were not mogul... but destroyed and made ruins by the moguls ha ha... call me anytime ok bye