Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lost and Found

As many of you may have read, as excited as I was to finally step onto the continent of Africa and add Tanzania as my 38th country, my backpack was apparently a little nervous and it took an extra SIX days to arrive. I'll be honest. I don't usually follow the sage advice of packing an extra change of clothing and my bathroom supplies such as toothbrush and paste. For no other reason than I desire to carry on as little as possible and a (foolish) faith that this day in age, luggage is rarely lost and if so, it is recovered within 24hrs. Ha!

What a mess it was trying to figure out where it was! After it was not automatically delivered the next day, I began my hunt and found it to be extremely difficult from Africa. Luckily, we have wifi here at the base so that I could search online, but calling was impossible. I am extremely fortunate to have the more wondeful parents who sprung into action for me and made numerous calls from the states in order to get some answers. Somehow, they had record of the bag being checked in at JFK, but never recorded it landing in either Amsterdam or Kilimanjaro, believed it was "forwarded on" to my final destination and that it was "in transit" but could not confirm... so frustrating.

Long story short, I spent the first week of my time in Africa in this nice little travel dress, borrowing clothes one day when it was too cold, as well as toothpaste and shower supplies etc. I was so grateful that by sheer coincidence I had packed my tooth and hair brush, a pair of yoga pants and a jacket. With my previous entry being about all of these fabulous things to pack - I learned first-hand, how few things you actually need to get by!

I have so many stories to tell, but the internet has been incredibly slow and unreliable, so I will end this entry now with a big hug for all my friends out there and a promise to write more details when I return from... Mt. Kilimanjaro!! I am leaving tomorrow to guide 4 students to the summit of Africa's tallest mountain and the tallest free-standing mountain in the world!!!

1 comment:

sebastiaan said...

dear Jessie,

good to read you have your bags and stuff finally. Again, you were so close to my home... So said you can't visit the most beautiful country of the world :-). Probably by returning to the states?

kiss,

Sebastiaan