Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bali Bound!

Well, it looks like what I thought would be a nice relaxing holiday visit with my parents and then some exploration of Thailand has turned into nothing of the sort!

As I mentioned before, I narrowly missed the mob heading to the Bangkok airport and my parents were not so lucky. After waiting a few days to see if the situation would be ameliorated, my parents chose to redirect to Singapore since they had a limited window for their vacation. After nearly a week absorbing the comforts of my friends' gorgeous flat, getting manicured, pedicured and massaged, my hair cut and even joining in an evening of "footy" (soccer) and attending a marvelous Ball/All-night-dance-party (Huge THANK YOU to Ange and Kerry!!), I managed through sheer luck to get a ticket on the train heading south that was sold out for a week and off I went!

If I thought I was on easy street being in Thailand, coming from India, I was wrong. While things were definitely more comfortable, the first thing I was told as I borded the luxurious train, was that the rails were flooded and we would have to get off early and manage a bus from there. 16 hours brought me to the border region where I processed through customs into Maylasia and in another 10hours I rolled into the capital, Kuala Lumpur. Once again, my friends are AMAZING and Kerry helped me connect with Mandy who was more than happy to invite this stranger into her fabulous flat (with rooftop pool and sauna) for a good nights rest. I am truly blessed!

A series of emails with my parents found that flights from Singapore to KL were canceled with the reopening of the bkk airport since they want to keep it from over-crowding (?) so as a desperate attempt to finally reunite us, I have a flight there tomorrow and then all three of us, with any luck, wing our way to Bali for some much needed (my parents anyway) R&R& hopefully some Asian culture!

PS: This makes flight #28 and country #31!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jessie,

I am reading your blog as soon as you publish a new one. You are save and sound, thanks!

kiss,

Sebastiaan

Hickman Clan said...

Look at you go! I was at my parents over Thanksgiving and drove past your old house wondering what you are up to and where you are... and today I found you:) I am sorry to blog stock but I was just so excited to find an old friend I just had to say HI! It's good to sort of "see you!"

-Jessica Sorensen