Sunday, April 12, 2009

Top Tens

Get ready for a bunch of lists! I've been asked by just about everyone I know, what it's like being back, what I miss, what I am doing now and for how long will I stay. I'm still waiting to hear about the job in Peru, but for now, after a few weeks in America, I've put together several lists for your (or my ;) enjoyment. In no particular order:



Top Ten Things I Miss About India:
  • Delicious Indian chai - anywhere, anytime
  • Being surrounded by women in elegant rainbow colored saris and salwar kamiz
  • Indian hospitality and of course my wonderful friends over there!
  • Indian food (especially samosas, parathas, dal, malai kofta, Sathi lassi, and a Gujarati Thali!)
  • Colorfully painted trucks and buses with funny words on the back and mini neon shrines inside
  • Rickshaw rides with Indian drivers on Indian roads
  • Random parades of people/kids/marching bands/floats/animals/lights etc
  • Cute Indian children saying hello, excited to practice their English and encouraged to shake my hand
  • The prices! Lodging and meals and books and clothes for under $3!
  • Last, but definitely not least, the Indian head wobble :)

Top Ten Things I Do NOT Miss About India:

  • The smell of urine randomly throughout town
  • Dodging blobs of chunky multicolored spittle
  • Neglected, begging children
  • Wasting so much plastic because you can't drink tap water
  • Incessant honking/jingling/beeping/blasting
  • My perpetually dirty feet
  • No toilet paper, squat toilets and bucket showers
  • "Hello!" Being shouted at me every other minute/Being aggressively pestered in the marketplaces
  • Being given wrong directions/information/time, usually in an effort to help, but often with an opposite effect
  • Last and definitely most annoying, throwing of garbage on the ground

Top Ten Things That I Have Enjoyed About Being Back In America:

  • Reuniting with so many marvelous friends
  • Spending time with my family
  • Being in a "home" that is somewhat mine
  • Meat, cheese and spiked hot cocoa :)
  • Going for jogs and starting to get back into shape
  • My extra soft bed with it's electric blanket
  • Feeling 100% clean
  • Getting out of a backpack
  • Change of clothes, especially my favorite hoody!
  • Driving!

Top Ten Places That I Went In India:

  • Leh, Ladakh
  • McLeod Ganj, Himachal Pradesh
  • Manali, Himachal Pradesh
  • Amritsar, Punjab
  • Taj Mahal, Agra, Uttar Pradesh
  • Pushkar, Rajasthan
  • Bundi, Rajasthan
  • Orcha, Madhya Pradesh
  • Mumbai, Maharashtra
  • Hampi, Karnataka

Top Ten Experiences While In India:

  • Indian festivals (I couldn't narrow them down) Diwali, Uttarayan, Holi etc.
  • Participating in an Indian wedding
  • Riding camels in the Rajasthan
  • Cross-country train rides
  • The Pakistan border guard ceremony at Atari
  • Attending a reading by the Dalai Lama and a Tibetan-in-exile protest
  • Riding bikes down from the world's highest motorable pass (Khardung La, 5359m)
  • Yatra season in Haridwar, Uttarakhand
  • Being in a Bollywood Movie
  • Participating in Rakhi, being interviewed, filmed, and on the 9 o'clock news

Phew! I've got lists galore, but I'll stop there for now :) I want to say a big THANKS to Caroline for visiting last week and Laura for having us over! I had so much fun with you two girls and look forward to our next reunion - PWoo! I am incredibly thrilled to be heading to Utah this week to see even MORE of my favorite people in the world. What a lucky girl I am!

3 comments:

Brandon said...

Awesome top 10! Surprising, funny, a little grose but all very interesting. Thanks for posting

Paul*Cat*Hallie*Ty said...

WOW, never a dull moment! I am so looking forward to seeing you, it has been WAY too long!!!

Alisa said...

I had to read this while you were away since I like it better when it feels like I'm spying on you (; I enjoyed reading your top tens... what is Yatra season? I remember when I visited you in Guatemala they had an impromptu parade there; they had several of those there, didn't they? Electric blankets. What luxury! And space like such as a closet and like such as full beds to throw clothes on and like such as bathroom counters. SUCH luxury to you after living out of a bag for months on end. But back to electric blankets - we haven't used ours for two winters in a row now. And that was just now brought to my attention. I love them, I must remember to drag it out come Fall!

PS You better get working on those meats and cheeses that you are storing here in the fridge (;

PPS I would like to inquire more about spiked hot cocoa